A case report on nerve sheath tumour of median nerve at distal end radius damaging distal radius ulna joint
PNSTs (Peripheral Nerve sheath tumors) are common tumors of hand present as solitary swelling along the course of nerve. However, Multiple swellings may be present along the course of nerve in patients of neurofibromatosis. The most common benign PNSTs are neurofibroma and schwannoma, which account for approximately 10% to 12% of all benign soft tissue neoplasms and may occur in upper and lower extremities. PNSTs generally presents with painless swelling.
In this paper, we present a 67-year-old female with swelling on her right wrist from last 6 months which was increasing gradually over the time for which she took treatment at various hospitals and was investigated. Patient was investigated radiographically and excisional biopsy was done and diagnosis was confirmed. On final follow up for last 6 months patient did not have any recurrence of swelling with complete movements at wrist joint.
2. World Health Organization. Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer; 2020. Soft Tissue and Bone Tumours. WHO Classification of Tumours, 5th edition
3. The surgical management of symptomatic peripheral nerve sheath tumors. Levi AD, Ross AL, Cuartas E, Qadir R, Temple HT. Neurosurgery. 2010;66:833–840.
4. O. Ozdemir, C. Kurt, E. Coskunol, I. Calli, and M. H. Ozsoy, “Schwannomas of the hand and wrist: long-term results and review of the literature,” Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 267–272, 2005.
5. Surgical management of neuromas of the hand and wrist. Regal S, Tang P. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2019;27:356–363.
6. The surgical management of symptomatic benign peripheral nerve sheath tumors of the neck and extremities: an experience of 442 cases. Desai KI. Neurosurgery. 2017;81:568–580.
7. Peripheral neural sheath tumors (PNST)--what a radiologist should know. Kubiena H, Entner T, Schmidt M, Frey M. Eur J Radiol. 2013;82:51–55.
8. Schwannoma: a rare benign tumor of soft tissues. Mankin HJ, Mankin KP. Musculoskelet Surg. 2014;98:95–99.
9. Benign nerve tumours of the hand (excluding wrist) Gosk J, Gutkowska O, Urban M, Martynkiewicz J, Bąk M, Ziółkowski P. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2015;135:1763–1769.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.