A rare solitary intraosseous calcaneal lipoma: case report
Intraosseous lipoma, a rare primary benign tumor of the skeleton, is most found in the calcaneus. It may contain homogenous fat, but it may also contain necrosis, calcification, or ossification. It usually does not show contrast enhancement, but there is an interface enhancement between the outer fat plain and the inner fluid part. Differential diagnoses for calcaneal lipoma include aneurysmal bone cyst, fibrous dysplasia, enchondroma, and intraosseous ganglia and UBC. Herein, we present an unusual 47-year-old female case of calcaneal intraosseous lipoma. Nonoperative treatment may be a viable option for many patients with small or asymptomatic lesions. Interventions include intralesional steroid injection, open curettage and bone grafting, decompression and percutaneous injection of bone marrow or graft substitutes. Attention is directed to the use of injectable steroid as an alternative means to open surgical intervention. Certain potential problems exist, despite the various surgical approaches utilized, including infection, postoperative fracture, recurrence, immobilization, and prolonged hospitalization.
2. Myhre-Jensen OA. Consecutive 7-year series of 1331 benign soft tissue tumors. Clinicopathologic data. Comparison with sarcomas. Acta Orthop Scand 1981;52:287-93.
3. Unni KK, Inwards CY. Dahlin's bone tumors: general aspect and data on 10165 cases. 6th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2006, pp. 298-300.
4. Milgram JW. Intraosseous lipomas. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1988;231:277-302.
5. Campbell RS, Grainger AJ, Mangham DC, Beggs I, Teh J, Davies AM. Intraosseous lipoma: report of 35 new cases and a review of the literature. Skeletal Radiol 2003;32:209-22.
6. Blacksin MF, Ende N, Benvenia J. Magnetic resonance imaging of intraoeeous lipomas: a radiologic-pathologic correlation. Skletel Radiol. 1995; 24:37-41.
7. Bagatur AE, Yalcinkaya M, Dogan A, Gur S, Mumcuoglu E, Albayrak M. Surgery is not always necessary in intraosseous lipoma. Orthopedics 2010;33:306.
8. Hassani M, Gharehdaghi M, Khooei AR, Ghodsi E, Nazarzadeh H. Bilateral intraosseous tumor of the calcaneus with imaging-pathologic discordance: a case report and literatures review. Arch Bone Jt Surg 2014;2:238-42